Saturday, April 25, 2009

Baby Quilt Tutorial (Part 1)




Here is a photo of a baby quilt that I just finished.  It's nothing incredibly original, but I'm going to show/tell you how I made it.








I started out with many, many 5" squares.  I don't know how many--I didn't even count them.  I tried to choose a light and a dark value of each color I used, e.g. a light blue and a dark blue together.  




  






I placed a dark blue and a light blue square right sides together.  Using my Fons & Porter quarter inch seam marker and a marking pencil, I drew a line 1/4" on either side of the imaginary diagonal line.  These lines became my sewing lines.










I sewed on the marked sewing lines:  two seams on each set of squares.  Note:  if you are not familiar with chain-piecing, look that up on your favorite quilting site or in a book.  It worked really well on this project.











Using a rotary cutter, I cut each "square pair" in half on the diagonal.












Open each "square pair and.....












.....iron the seam to one side.


1 comment:

  1. Great idea. I could probably pull lots of lights and darks from my scrap pile and make a small quilt pretty quick. thanks

    ReplyDelete